Software Engineer - Cloud
We're adding an experienced Software Engineer to our remote software team to focus on developing our Cloud services. In this role, you'll primarily contribute to the development and management of Variphy's Cloud services, in addition to also contributing to our core product.
This is a full-time position. We provide competitive compensation with excellent benefits and a team culture that we believe is best in class.
We are not considering freelancers, agencies, contractors, or applicants from outside of the continental United States.
Who We Are Looking For
- A team-first player who communicates well, works efficiently, and succeeds in a fast-paced environment where each team member's velocity truly matters.
- In addition to software development, this person is more than willing to consult and assist other teams with production support for clients, typically over chat.
- The ideal candidate for this role has a solid grasp of Java development, as well as experience in some additional areas as listed in the Additional Experience Areas section below.
- Design, implement, improve, and maintain software components particularly for use in our Cloud environment, but also for our core product
- Contribute to code reviews, technical designs and discussions, and system architecture
- Provide responsive and hands-on support and technical guidance to field engineering, support, QA, and other departments as needed
- Identify, learn, and share new programming/development technologies, techniques, tools, and trends
Required Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of experience using Java as your primary development language
- 1+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in a professional environment writing Java code
- Ability to design, develop, and explain Java code
- Ability to understand an existing code base and determine the impact and risk of various changes
- Experience creating Relational Database schemas and writing SQL queries, particularly with MySQL
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Software Development Life Cycle skills, such as experience with Git, Code Reviews, Software Versioning, etc.
Additional Experience Areas
Ideal candidates will have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- UNIX/Linux generalist
- e.g. comfort in a shell environment, shell scripting, troubleshooting Linux machines, etc.
- Experience with containers and container orchestration, particularly Kubernetes
- Experience with message brokers, particularly Apache Kafka
- Experience with Information Security
- e.g. firewall management, encryption (SSL/TLS), IAM, secrets management, etc.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools
- Experience with modern monitoring and logging tools
- e.g. Stackdriver, ELK stack, EFK stack, Prometheus, etc.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Previous experience working remotely greatly preferred
- Experience managing Kubernetes clusters, particularly on GCP
- Building CI/CD pipelines (e.g. Jenkins), and/or administering an artifact repository (e.g. Artifactory)
- Experience creating Technical Documentation, such as: software design docs, operational docs, user docs, tutorials, etc.
- Providing operational/field support
- Ability to perform root cause analysis
- Experience with MySQL databases
- Bachelor's or master's degree in a technology field
How To Apply
Please complete the following application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSer2vsVsYh8TMWKN91S5r8NDV0xcaPHxmbQEShJR3MRKxCLSw/viewform